It is amazing what young children take joy in doing. Here is a list of age appropriate chores for children.
- Never force the child – you can do these alongside each other or step in when they need help
- Look for child-sized brooms, mops and utensils to give the greatest success
- Slow down taking time to show your child how to do these tasks
- Keep your movements slow, and limit talking at the same time – makes it easier for them to copy you
- Makes chores around the house lots more fun if there is a little one alongside trying it out too
- Let go of perfection – you may find that the spill is not completely wiped up, there is water at the bottom of the pot plant etc.
- Scaffold skills – start with one step at a time and build on it
- Enjoy yourselves – if it starts to feel like hard work, come back to it in a couple of weeks
Simone Davies is a Montessori teacher and writer of The Montessori Notebook.